Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hand Rolled Cigarettes OR regular factory made?

Firstly - Cigarette smoking is seriously injurious to health - yours and the ones around you.


Having said that, let us look into some questions on this new found love of mine:

>> Are hand-rolled cigarettes (HRC) less harmful?
-- NO, in case you do not get it, just google it man -- I did that -- no evidence of them being any less or more harmful (although the research does say, which is needless, that hand-rolled ones contain lesser chemicals)

>> Are HRC better in taste?
-- Taste, my friends, is a personal choice. Although I do find the taste better most of the times, I do feel like smoking a factory made one occasionally. Some people I've met swear by its taste (I use Golden Virginia tobacco)

>> Will trying to do this reduce or attenuate my smoking habits?
-- If that's the reason -- and the primary reason -- for you to take up rolling your own cigarettes, it would not really help unless you keep some principles embedded with it. I tried with the same intentions and have partially succeeded, since my principle was to not to buy and smoke and was partially administered. But I did smoke lesser since I have started this (been about 2 weeks)
Although I must say, it does reduce your smoking to some extent -- for the obvious reason that one needs to put in some efforts before he/she can light that stick.

>> Is HRC cost-effective?
-- A definite yes (of course with a disclaimer, unless you smoke more than what you'd've smoked on factory ones)
The reason is simple, you buy tobacco (about INR 200), cigarette paper (about INR 25 for small size - my preference) and it makes about 60-80 cigarettes. A lot of cost-effectiveness there (let's keep the future medical bills and their financial effects aside)

>> Does it make you feel better?
-- Better? - No.
Different? - yes. You see it takes time to roll a cigarette and with time you get better at it (not something that one may be proud of, but then better to be better at it if you are at it). Patience is another virtue the art of rolling cultivates -- and I have a desperate void for the virtue.

If you are a smoker who has been smoking cigarettes, do try rolling your own cigarettes and let me know if you need some help or your experience about it.
...Keep rolling

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Nice owne on the art of rolling.
I quit smoking some time, but i still roll a hrc every nite.

quit tobacco.

cheers,
clemenza

brijesh tripathi said...

@clemenza
Yeah, I know -- we should quit!
by your definition of quitting cigarettes, I too have quit, but do have 4-5 HRCs in a day ;)

Unknown said...

Good shit! I started rolling after college when my first job paid me just a thousand bucks a month. Used to have just enough to eat :) but quitting was not an option that entered my mind. Wills Navy Cut (yes you get hand rolling too) and Capstan tobacco are much cheaper (25% of imported ones) and have far better taste as they are fresher mostly. Trouble though is that it is not easy at all to find them. One usually only finds these brands with wholesellers.

A problem I found with HRCs was tar. Investing in fancy filters was not an option with the afore mentioned penury :). I usually make an improvised filter by pushing the tobacco in on both sides after rolling the cig. Then I tear one end off and shove down the other. Keeps some of the tar and most of the tobacco from entering your mouth.

Another advantage of HRCs is that they are less smoky and thus bother ppl around you a bit less. And they are also great conversation starters ... :)

Cheers,
Chatts

brijesh tripathi said...

@Chatts the comment's better than the blog man.
Never knew navy cut tobacco existed, would like to lay my hands on that. See u soon for Chahal's

Unknown said...

You are way too modest my man! And you flatter well :)

Looking forward to meet up again at the eccentric serd's! Perhaps we'll meet earlier in Dilli.

brijesh tripathi said...

Yep. Looking forward to seeing u here and probably heading together towards chd with the usual suspects